Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Baked On Beauty

Right now I am obsessed with anything baked. No, not potato chips... makeup of course! Baked powders are absolutely the best. The pressed powder color is blended and then baked for an excessive amount of time (like 24 hours!) in terra cotta pans. The result is super pigmenty yet smooth color for your face and eyes, without the usual "binders" in regular powders that dull the intensity of the shade.

Laura Geller has a great array of baked products, including different face powders and eye shadows. I think I'll pick up her Baked to Perfection Kit ($60), available only at Sephora, which comes with three face powders (an all over face brightener and two blushes), a eye shadow duo, a mascara, and her excellent Spackle. Spackle is a great light weight makeup primer that has non-toxic silicone to fills in fine lines and leaves the skin nourished and glowing.

MAC Cosmectics' Mineralize eye shadow duos are also baked, to achieve intense, pure frosted color. I picked up Engaging the other day, a dark bronze and dusty pink duo with red veining. The pictures online don't do these products justice, check them out in person. I might have to pick up Family Silver as well, a light and dark grey silver with gold veining. Gorgeous!

Laura Mercier's excellent Mosaic Shimmer Blocs are also baked and have light-reflecting ingredients to gives you a subtle bronze glow wherever you want. The compacts contains four shades that can be blended together to achieve an all over face powder, or worn individually as eye shadows.

All these baked products give you an exceptional amount of color and shimmer, but the best part about the eye shadows is they can all be applied wet and/or used as an eyeliner for a more dramatic effect. Keep your eye out for other baked products and let me know what you find!

Bake Lovely!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

nilla cookie said...

Oooo.. I'd love to try the Laura Mercier, but I wish they came in more colors!

Anonymous said...

I also have the Mac mineralized powder in engaging.... and my sister has the purple and red one (don't know what it's called). I agree that baked eyeshadows are spectacular because they go on smoothe but the color is vibrant and strong without having the texture of a heavily matte'd eyeshadow. I just wish they weren't limited editions!